In this case, several third parties were engaged; a guardian, Cafcass (the advice and support service for the child and family courts, a public body representing children in family court proceedings in England) and a child psychiatrist and young person. Cafcass expressed concern about the importance of the “brotherly bond,” but noted that there have been cases in the past where children have lived apart. While the mother maintained that her son had “prospered” in rural areas, the father thought it was in his son`s interest to return to London to continue his education at a school he knew (which he had been attending since reception). Cafcass concluded that it would be better for the boy to stay with his father in London for a number of reasons, including school rules and the fact that the parties` son did not handle the change well. Thank you for contacting us. This seems to be a difficult situation. I have shared your details with our Managing Counsel, Colin Amos, and he will be contacting you shortly. Security is an example of where the court can order joint custody. For example, if a sibling cannot live safely in the same place, a judge may separate the siblings. There are as many reasons for a child to apply for joint custody as there are children. But if it is not in their interest, it is unlikely that the court will grant such a request. Divorce comes with changes in life situations, new schools and insecurity. Siblings often lean on each other to get through these difficult times.

But during the trial, the question arises: under what circumstances would the judge order that the siblings be separated during the divorce? In determining support, the court considers many factors. This calculation includes the income of both parents, the level of need, the time the non-custodial parent spends with the children, and more. Regardless of which children live with which parents, the court wants to ensure that their economic needs are met. While there are some very specific circumstances in which the court can separate siblings, this is usually not an option. However, if it is directly contrary to the best interests of the child, it is unlikely that the court will grant such a request. This article in Family Law Week on Sibling Assessments in Care and Adoption, written by Judith Pepper, a lawyer at 4 Brick Court in London, discusses this and other cases. Judith Pepper and Professor Daniel Monk of Birkbeck School of Law lectured at the Judicial College on siblings in foster care and adoption. Even in cases where parents propose this idea, the court is reluctant to approve such measures. In these scenarios, judges may appoint a guardian to review the case. Shared custody is the term generally used to define an arrangement where siblings live in the homes of different relatives, although this can vary from state to state. The sister could live with mom and have a visit with dad, while the brother lives with dad and has a visit with mom. The children`s home base, the house where they spend most of their nights, is their main residence.

(g)the extent of the powers conferred on the court under this Law in the relevant proceedings. As a result, an application for internal relocation was submitted to the court. Custody plans get tangled up at best. When the court separates siblings, a logistical nightmare often occurs. C lived at home, and D and E (his half-siblings) lived nearby with their biological father and had regular contact with their mother, the father of A, B and C and C. If there is a potential danger and a parent is in a better position to deal with the situation, a judge may separate the siblings. However, if things are going so badly, it`s probably best to see a psychiatrist if you haven`t already. This type of situation goes beyond a normal antagonistic relationship between siblings. Conflicts happen to almost everyone with brothers or sisters. We are talking about a scenario where one child is legitimately a threat to the other. Exp and Exp`s mom talked about taking dd and not returning them, but I feel like these comments hurt me rather than the truth. I don`t think they will do anything to disrupt their case for the reprieve, so just empty threats for me, I hope? As the present case shows, simply moving in and feeling comfortable in a new home with your family is not a fait accompli that grants you a child`s disposition in your favour.

While the family court is not interested in separating siblings when it can be avoided, it will not hesitate to do so if it is truly in the best interests of the children. Well, talk to Cafcass about the threats anyway, they could include some sort of clause regarding the non-return of dd. If you think they will really do it, then you can apply for a primary residency permit (or whatever it`s called now) to make sure you can get it back if they try to keep them there. I don`t know your ex, so I can`t say if these are empty threats or not – obviously, these things usually are, but I can`t say for sure. Here are the specific points that the CAFCASS officer will look at under the Children`s Act, so it might be helpful for you to know how an assessment is conducted.