Rainwater is the name given to rainwater that flows from rooftops, roads, trails and other surfaces. This water flows into a rainwater drain. It then flows into our streams, rivers and watersheds and ends up in the ocean. Council representatives refer to maps and plans of the area, land contours, and proximity to rainwater pits and stormwater stormwater when preparing a legal discharge report. Developers must install on-site water retention systems on new private buildings. These systems retain water and slowly release it into the drainage system. This prevents flooding downstream. If you own a property, these systems are your responsibility. You are responsible for your drains until the connection (the legal discharge point) to our subsurface drainage system, curb and canal or built roadway. Water from a roof or hard surfaces such as driveways, roads or walking trails flows into rainwater channels. This rainwater flows into our waterways and eventually into Port Phillip Bay. The Council is regularly called upon to decide on the legal question of discharge both for existing real estate and for the rehabilitation of residential, commercial and industrial facilities. Apply for a stormwater discharge certificate You must apply for a DPL if changes to the stormwater watershed design are proposed within the title boundaries.

All applications for approval of an on-site rainwater barrier are subject to a fee. A building permit as part of a road reserve is required to install a new rainwater connection. Not all stormwater drains are the property of Council. Individual landowners and Melbourne Water also own storm drains. The owner of each drain must take care of his own drains and clean them. There are different types of stormwater retention systems on site, but all have the following: Apply for a permit for the on-site stormwater retention system On-site rainwater retention is the management of rainwater at one location. It is designed to temporarily retain rainwater on site, allowing rainwater falling on the site to be controlled and drained more slowly than normal. This limits the flow of rainwater into the council`s drainage system.

As part of the legal discharge point assessment, CCTV recordings of surrounding drainage systems may be requested for larger construction sites. If a cleaning is necessary, it will be paid for and carried out by us. Post-work recordings are required to confirm that drains were protected during the work. We chose to deploy on-site stormwater retention systems to prevent local flooding and reduce peak runoff rates in runoff and streams to better manage stormwater runoff from high-density areas. Increasing impermeable hard surfaces significantly increases the volume of rainwater runoff, which reduces soil seepage, affects runoff of rainwater and other assets, and increases erosion of stream areas. It can also cause local flash flooding downstream of the site and have negative effects on fish and wildlife. An on-site rainwater retention system is included as a condition in a legal runoff report. The Yarra Public Stormwater Drainage System is managed in partnership by Yarra City Council and Melbourne Water. The legal discharge point is a point determined by the municipal council where rainwater must be drained from a property. The main discharge point designated by the Council shall be the nearest pit or discharge of sufficient depth and capacity, or determined alternately by an official of the Council. The legal point of the initiation report may require development drainage plans for developments that require an on-site stormwater retention (OSD) system. The Board must approve these plans.

We have rainwater quality objectives and sustainable water management programs to protect our waterways. You can find information about your rainwater drainage needs in your building permit. Our stormwater drainage system is a combination of drains, pits, pipes, open canals and natural streams. We describe the ongoing development, management and maintenance of this network in Merri-bek`s drainage asset management strategy (PDF 1Mb). Once we receive your complete application, including design plans for the on-site drainage and stormwater retention system, calculations and permits from other jurisdictions, if required, and fees, we will send you a letter or confirmation message confirming receipt of your application. The plumber of your choice will connect your home to the new system in accordance with VBA standards, ensuring that all appliances are emptied into the system, that there is an overflow discharge gutter, that the drain is properly ventilated, and that any existing non-compliant drains are leveled or cleaned from the VBA. This wastewater is conveyed to the Western treatment plant in Werribee. This plant treats about half of our city`s wastewater and produces about 40 billion litres of recycled water annually. If you own a property, you are responsible for drains on the property up to the connection point: we maintain and clean our rainwater drains. This includes cleaning curbs and sewers, drainage pipes and pits on the street, and most (but not all) drains in drainage easements.

The sewer pipes outside your property belong to Yarra Valley Water. They are also responsible for the maintenance of these pipes. You can report a sewer fault or water line break to Yarra Valley Water on their website. You can also call them at 13 27 62. Your land surveyor must consider this report before issuing a building permit. Council does not keep records of stormwater pipes around homes. This report does not include a private stormwater drainage plan. You can request a legal discharge report from the Council, indicating where your country`s stormwater drainage should be routed. If you are notified by a plumber that there is a blockage, breakage or flooding in one of our municipal rainwater channels, please contact us. You can contact us or call us at 9240 1111 to report the problem.

You can get a basic overview of Yarra Valley Water`s assets (drinking water, recycled water and sewer) by submitting an application through Dial Before You Dig (DBYD). This is a free service, but can take up to 24 hours. Rainwater must be connected to a legally approved discharge point. A drainage point is usually an underground drain, curbs, or open table drains. You are responsible for the drains and pipes that collect water on your private property. This includes pipes that run under your trail or natural strips. If you have a blocked pipe or drain on your property, you will need to seek advice from a licensed plumber. A map of rainwater assets can be provided upon request to display indicative details. With our online facility map, you can easily find Yarra Valley Water`s infrastructure.

The interactive map shows the current location of current and planned sanitation, water and non-potable water infrastructure. Sewage pipes collect all the wastewater that leaves the interior of a building. These include sinks, sinks, showers, bathrooms, laundry rooms and toilets. Development in Merri-bek, which can increase rainwater runoff, typically requires an on-site rainwater retention system. The 2022-2023 fee for the Commission`s legal release report is $149.35. There is no need to request stormwater drain sanitation and maintenance. Please note that council does not keep a record of stormwater pipes around homes and this report does not include a stormwater drainage plan on your property. Drains, pipes and hard surface drains such as entrances must be controlled within property lines, runoff water must be collected inside private property and then diverted to the legal discharge point (LPD) Submit your stormwater drainage plans and calculations Drainage criteria for development help design the drainage system for a retention system rainwater on site.

The legal discharge point is a point determined by the municipal council where rainwater must be drained from a property. This point is usually the rainwater runoff from the council, if available, or the roadside and canal. To meet our stormwater drainage requirements for planning or building permits, please follow these steps: There is a fee for a request for rejection. These fees are reviewed annually. Visit the Yarra Standard Drawings page to find our standard drawings Using Your Printing Channel System An instruction manual.